Equate is an advanced algebraic expression oriented calculator with programming, solving, and graphing.
Please register if you find Equate useful.
Equate is designed to be intuitive to use. You build complete algebraic expressions and then evaluate them rather than trying to
remember where you are in doing a calculation. Equate's smart editor helps you by understanding the syntax of the equation, giving
you help text, and disallowing syntactically invalid input.
- Save and reuse common equations
- Graphing, Iteration, and Solving
- History of results and equations
- Graphing, Iteration, and Solving
- No need for MathLib
- Requires Palm OS 3.5 or later
- Submit your own equations
- Information about Equate and registration.
Set the application options. The Home Group should be set to your favorite group to display. The Quick Group
should be set to a group that you need frequent but less predictable access to. If Play Sounds is ON,
Equate will play a sound when
an addition to an equation is rejected. The Reinstall button will recreate the default equations.
- Beam Equate or the current equation group to another device.
- Equation Tool…
Operate on individual equations. Choose the action and specify the group and equation to act on, then press the Ok button.
The Use action inserts any function (even hidden ones) into equations.
- Group Tool…
Operate on equation groups. Choose the action and specify the group to act on, then press the Ok button.
- Graph, Solve, Iterate, IterateN
- Using these commands you can graph, solve, or iterate the current equation. Iterate will use the currently
displayed result as input to your equation and Solve uses the current result as a starting point (falling back
to zero if none is found from there). All these operations require that the current equation have exactly
Within the graph display you can also solve, probe, and change the graph bounds. See RPN's documentation since the
functionality is almost identical: (tools,
- Quick Group
- The Quick Group button allows you access to equations without switching to that group.
- The home button displays your the equation group you defined as your Home Group in the Preference Panel.
Here you can choose a name for an unknown in your equation. There are quick buttons for some common names at the top.
Here you can set formatting options for the display of numbers.
- There is a history list for results and for equations. Tap the history buttons to the right of the
equation and result areas to reuse previous values.
You program Equate by saving newly created equations using the "Equations..." menu. Equations and Groups whose names begin with
an '_' are invisible. There is no way to access an invisible group (so don't create one), but invisible equations are useful for
hiding utility equations that you may reference from more than one equation.
If you'd like to distribute your created equations, just hotsync your Palm OS device and distribute the file called Yequ_GroupName.pdb
found in the backup directory on your desktop.
Changes by Version
v1.01 - v1.10:
v1.00 - v1.01:
- Larger font for equation display.
- Drag and Drop.
- Hi-res Interface.
- Conversion equations no longer a separate database.
- Close parentheses will toggle parentheses surrounding the entire completed
- Changed home icon.
- Insertion point is initialized in dialogs.
- Upper-case user equations are now allowed.
- This manual!
v0.00 - v1.00:
- Results are now converted to numbers for editing when tapped.
- Improved finding of starting conditions in Solver.
- Fixed serious graphing glitches caused by setting CW optimizer above
- Results auto-update when numerical format is changed.
- Previous results are now saved correctly in equations.
- Display red-dot on rejected input.
- Fixed bug in using Quick Group.
- Changed Home button graphic.
- Registration code field is a single line field.
- Added help text to most forms.
- Changed about dialog icon to high-res.
- Import old equations discarding ones with previous result references
(since those references were broken in v.100).